Sunday, October 27, 2013

The idea came in the most surprising of packages

 I don't typically "just run."

I'm not a runner.  I engage in physical activities, sure, but this morning's decision to run around the neighborhood park was atypical.  This past week saw my attendance at my local Crossfit gym (or, as we say in the Legion, the "box") lacking, and I suppose some primal part of me determined it needed the satisfaction brought only by physical discomfort, sweat, and mediocre breathing technique.

Leading up to my first footsteps on the (literally) broken path to the park, my thought process went something like this:
  1. I feel like a fatty.  I should go running.
  2. Why the hell do I have so many more workout shirts than shorts?  Where did all my shorts go?
  3. I should wear a hoodie.  Nothing is worse than cold-air-runner's-lungs.
  4. It's 58F out.  I should not wear a hoodie.
  5. I don't believe the manufacturer of these "no show" athletic socks anticipated how low cut crossfit shoes actually are.
Dressed, stretched, and now walking - making what must appear to be ridiculous windmill motions with my arms as I go - I decide to focus my mind on work.  It is partly a distraction, to keep from dwelling upon the physical discomfort I'm soon to experience, but also a hope that the "experience" of the run will allay fears of the coming week and sharpen any lingering ideas I have about any manner of web-administer-y topics.

Somewhere around 150bpm, only a few minutes into the run, one idea revealed itself above and before all others.

I should blog about this shit.

Why?

I have never been a server administrator before.  Sure, I've studied and certified on topics of server administration, and I have through those studies and personal experiences with other administrators formulated a host of ideas of how such a thing is or isn't, should work or shouldn't.  However, until my current job, it was all armchair quarterbacking.  It was my puerile attempt to sit at the adult's table and talk about something more than just how slow Internet Explorer was, or how someone's "Internet is broken."

Now I'm at the adult's table.


I have metric crap-tons of new material to learn, new ideas to explore, new swords on which to hurl myself unknowingly and otherwise, and a whole host of mistakes to make.  I decided I needed a vessel to receive my thoughts on these things, a medium on which I could present what I learn, what I accidentally set fire and leave alone to crash into the sea.

I am an IIS Administrator.  This is my story.

~Fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment